How to retrieve Camera Serial Number?

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Great work on this library!  I have a need to identify images by the Camera Serial Number, or as I have seen it in some utilities, Camera Body Number.

I do not see any way of retrieving this piece of Metadata using the fotofly library.  Am I missing something? Or would you be able to guide me in the right direction?

Thanks Much,

Don

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Thanks,

Unfortuantely that data is not stored in a standard way. Each manufacturer embeds it differently and they don't release their standards. There are people out there who have worked it out but I've not had the time to work it all out.

Ben

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yea, I spent a lot of hours on the web over the weekend scouring for a Serial Number solution, or managed code class, or anything that would get me the data.  Best I could come up with was to Shell exiftool in a new process, redirect the output to a text file then read the value out of the file.  Not very elegant but it works. I am sure there is a better way but I am an intermediate programmer and new to dot net - most of my experience is in VB6.

Don