Metadata not being read from a photo?

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I've got a couple of hundred photos straight off of a Nikon D200 camera and the meta-data is being read for them. No values are coming back.

If I open the image in notepad, I can see the exif meta-data, such as when the photo was taken, what camera took it etc, though it's not in plain text, it seems to be a binary format (as opposed to when you can view some meta-data in plain-text within a binary file).

Does anyone know if there's limitations on what types of meta-data can be read? On the whole I've been very happy with the component, but now I have to wonder how much meta-data its missing from images.

I can send an example photo if necessary.

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Can you send me a sample photo to fotofly@taasss.com?

I don't do anything special with reading basic properties, if fotofly can't read the rating or description it probably means Windows can't either.

Ben

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Edited Apr 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Thanks Ben. I can't find the email thread we exchanged, so am replying here.

I've tried on my Windows 7 desktop and on a Windows Server 2008 machine and neither pick up the GPS or date-taken information. The photos I'm playing with right now were taken on an iPhone 4.

I've tried using http://regex.info/exif.cgi and it picked up all the data just fine.

I guess I'll have to try some other solutions. It's a shame as I liked the API of FotoFly.

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Hi Jay,

So I looked at your photo on my Win-7 SP1 machine. Using the following code:

JpgPhoto photo = new JpgPhoto(@"d:\Storage (Local)\Desktop\JAY_0117.JPG");

photo.ReadMetadata();

I was able to read aperture, shutter speed, camera make etc.

Are you not seeing the same? It could be an update to WIC that you don’t have, it’s the heart of what fotofly does, I just put a pretty face on what it returns.

Ben

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Hi Ben, thanks for replying.

It's weird, in the project it was in it stopped working. I moved it to a new project and it works fine now.

I checked the project properties and couldn't see anything different.

It was in a class project and is in another class project now, both .net 4.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Apr 2012, at 05:31, "taasss" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Jay,

So I looked at your photo on my Win-7 SP1 machine. Using the following code:

JpgPhoto photo = new JpgPhoto(@"d:\Storage (Local)\Desktop\JAY_0117.JPG");

photo.ReadMetadata();

I was able to read aperture, shutter speed, camera make etc.

Are you not seeing the same? It could be an update to WIC that you don’t have, it’s the heart of what fotofly does, I just put a pretty face on what it returns.

Ben